Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Please tell me if I'm wrong...little black boy wants to be a rapper when he grows up. Is this a stereotype?


Ok. I am all about helping the littles ones. I am a youth pastor for God's sake. I not only care for the spiritual well being but the mental, physical, financial, educational and all the "als" of a young person that you can think of. So since I am a proponent of education. I was asked by a friend to help her son do an autobiography project. He is in the third grade so it was no big deal. All was well until I asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up. This was his answer, "a rapper," which was emphatically spoken. Although I understand that this is an eight year old and more than likely his mind will change. I just felt that this piece of information should not be placed in his autobiography especially since he goes to a predominantly white school.


His mother was a bit upset at my desire to leave it out. But I am sorry folks I did not think it was a wise idea to perpetuate that little white boys and girls want to be doctors and lawyers while little black boys and girls want to be rappers and basketball players. I know there aren't many black men role models in other arenas such as business, science etc. but I attended a prestigious white institution and I have a slight idea how some people think and I didn't want any school teacher to look down on him. Perhaps I am wrong. I have no problem with that. Tell me my people, do you think I was wrong?

4 comments:

panacheekz said...

I COMPLETELY agree with you. I think you did the right thing. I also went to a predominantly white institution and I believe that allowing him to write that on his report would have definitely fed into the stereotype.

outcastmike said...

You did the right thing! Kids need to know that there's more to the world and life than what they get exposed to and it's up to us grownups to provide that guidance to children.

As long as your guidance doesn't prevent children from growing mentally, spiritually and any other way, there's nothing wrong with what you did.

La Femme Nikita said...

Thank you outcastmike. I appreciate that.

Sarah said...

Hi, non-quite-white product of white privilege here.

You totally did the right thing. I think a lot of it has to do with self-fulfilling prophecy, that you become what people/media tell you to become. It's easier to motivate a third grader in the right direction than a sixth grader, or ninth grader. He's lucky to have such a great mentor in you.